Monday, 17 September 2012

Cinder by Marissa Meyer


Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)

'Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.'


I went into this book with expectations that were sky-high. And for the third time in a row this month, my expectations were surpassed! BY A MILE. Having never read a fairytale retelling before, I was kind of skeptical about how I would feel about it. I chose to read Cinder as my first one because it had so many rave reviews. AND I'M SO GLAD I DID.

I can't even explain how much I loved this book. Actually, I can:

I love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love itI love it.

The setting was perfect, so believable, so real that I felt I was walking around in New Beijing with Cinder. I believed everything about the constant war with the Lunars (argggh, I hated them) and struggle that Kai went through when certain things happen to him right at the start of the book made me feel so sorry for him. 

The characters were also perfect. I liked the twist that Meyer threw in with one of the step sisters actually being nice rather than them both hating her. Cinder was such an amazing character to read about, so strong and self-assured but in some ways but in others completely lost and vulnerable. Prince Kai, well...he was Prince Kai. (ilovehimilovehimilovehimilovehimilovehimilovehim)

I totally managed to forget that this was even a fairytale retelling until right at the end when Cinder's foot came off on the stairs. I see what you did there, Marissa! ;)

As much as I loved this book, I will admit that it was a bit predictable, but only concerning certain things. It certainly wasn't predictable enough for me to actually be able to put it down and definitely won't prevent me from giving it a deserved 5/5 stars!

Ahh, I can't wait for Scarlet, which I hope to start reading the mili-second it comes out. If you haven't read Cinder already, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GO!

To listen to a free audiobook excerpt of Cinder, click here. A big thank you to Macmillan Audio for offering my readers this great opportunity!



6 comments:

  1. I thought this was a really great book too, but unfortunately I found the plot to be way too predictable! I agree that the world building was just amazing. I can't wait for the second book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite predictable. Me neither!

      Delete
  2. hmmm... You aren't really clear here. Did you LIKE it or NOT?
    bwahahaah!!!

    I loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still not decided to be honest ;)
      Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. I absolutely adored this book! Having read it on my Kindle I just had to have a paperback copy for my collection.
    Really glad you enjoyed it!!
    Great blog :)

    Emma
    http://emmaseminentbooks.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I really want a paperback addition as I read it on my Kindle too. Thank you very much! :)

      Delete