Sunday, 18 November 2012

Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm by Philip Pullman

Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version
This book is a collection of fifty fairy tales from the Brothers Grimm retold by Philip Pullman. It explores everything from the infamous Cinderella to lesser known tales such as Thousandfurs and The Girl with No Hands.

I really, really enjoyed this book. I found the slight adjustments made by Pullman in the tales were very well done, and really enjoyed the notes at the end of the stories that told you why he had changed this or that, and gave you an insight into different interpretations of that particular story.

I was also introduced to many amazing fairy tales that I have never before come across and probably never would have if they hadn't been included in this collection. Amongst some of my favourites were One Eye, Two Eyes and Three Eyes and The Singing, Springing Lark.

 Overall, I very much enjoyed every page of this book, and would highly recommend that you pick it up if you enjoy fairy tales. Remember, you're never too old for a dose of fairy godmothers or three wishes.


Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin for giving me the opportunity to read and review this wonderful novel!

3 comments:

  1. I just finished this book too and really, really loved it. It was so interesting to read the original tales and the comments Philip Pullman had added were a nice addition :)
    I hope you're having a lovely weekend, and hello from a new follower! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be reading this because of your review/recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete