Sunday, 9 December 2012

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell


 
'Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.'
 
This book was a book that I jumped into having no idea what it was about, which is unusual for me, as since I have become part of the book-blogging and vlogging community, there is rarely a time when I pick up a book having not seen at least one review on it before.

However, I think, for this book, it was better that way. The relatioship that Eleanor and Park have is one of the most realistic ones that I have ever found in a YA novel. The story is told beautifully through the author's poetic descriptions, and the harsh reality that often came crashing down on the two main characters was such a breath of fresh air after reading so many YA romances where it is all rainbows and bunnies.

At times, the two main characters annoyed me in their own separate ways; I sometimes found Eleanor's needy, stubborn attitude irritating, and wished that she wasn't so scared of everything. Then again, it could be argued that what she had been through was what had made her that way, so I was torn over whether I really liked her or not.

What I did like, however, was the quirkiness of their relationship. They get to know each other through sharing comics and albums from the time it is set in, which makes the vivid yet simple descriptions seem all the more real.

Overall, I gave this book 4/5 stars. I would definitely recommend it if you like realistic romances, and if, like me, you would like a break from the typical YA lovey-dovey love stories. Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for sending this to me for review.
(P.S. How amazing is that cover?!)

1 comment:

  1. I just randomly picked this up from Amazon because it had a nice blurb from John Green, You are the only person on my goodreads has reviewed it. I'm glad you liked it and I'm excited to read a realistic relationship,most I have read are all lovely dovey with that one fight they get over in a chapter. I'm excited to read this book after your review.

    ReplyDelete