Monday, 25 February 2013

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Anna and the French Kiss
Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?


I was a little dubious about starting this book as the hype surrounding it was like no other and I don't tend to be a fan of contemporary romances. However, having been pleasantly surprised by Pushing the Limits, I decided to at least give it a go. And I may have absolutely fallen in love with it. Just a bit.

As soon as I had read the first page, I knew I was going to like it. The writing style was quick and witty, and conveyed Anna's voice really well. Reading the novel whilst in Paris really brought the book to life, and seeing sights that Anna has just been to in the last chapter made the whole experience even more enjoyable.

I loved Anna's quirky and unique character. Her sarcasm gave the novel a humorous touch, which I also really enjoyed. (I enjoyed a lot, as you can probably tell) The other side characters were also great, and very well developed; Rashmi, Mer, Josh...they all added to the story in their own way and I liked especially how they all bounced off each other within their group. Étienne St. Clair was okay too.

Okay, maybe he was a bit more than okay. Maybe he was a bit more than phenomenal. Maybe he was even BRITISH. Maybe.

I loved him. I still love him. My heart. It hurts. But it's okay, I forgive you Anna. It was worth it for that ending. SWOON.

I think I've gushed enough, but seriously, if you haven't read this book already, READ IT. 5/5 STARS. OF COURSE. (that's for you, St. Clair)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review! You have inspired me to finally pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to read it eventually, this year I might go to France myself (touch wood), so I would read it while being there :)

    ReplyDelete