Thursday, 14 February 2013

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

WonderAugust (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?

I think this is one of my favourite books of all time. Even thinking about it now makes me want to read it and enjoy it all again.

I loved the characters that the author built; Auggie was adorable, his sister Via was so supportive, his friends all had their own stories; every character was well rounded and we were given a solid back story to all of their lives, which made me enjoy the novel all the more. I liked how the different parts of the book were told from different points of view; even though we were learning about the POV character's lives, R.J. Palacio was also building up an even more well rounded image of August using their opinions and perspectives on him. I though that this was really unique, and I really enjoyed how it was done.

The writing style conveyed August's voice very well; I felt very close to him throughout the novel and thought that the author did a good job of showing the reader through subtle hints and changes how he was maturing as time passed. I also liked how the writing didn't linger over lengthy descriptions; it was just descriptive enough, and this made it easier for me to fly through the book.

The ending was perfect and I couldn't help but feel proud of August after all he had been through and how much he had changed and matured from the first few pages.

Overall, this book was amazing and too touching to give it any less that 5/5 stars. Let me know what you thought of Wonder, and if you're considering picking it up in the future!

1 comment:

  1. I read this book a while ago and really enjoyed it, it's the first time in many years that I've read a book that was probably intended for a younger audience, and I'm glad I did. This is the kind of book I would want my kids to read, because it would give them, or anyone really, a good reality check into how we actually treat other people. Because even though you don't get a detailed description of what's actually wrong with Auggie, you still love him. And through the entire book you feel so sorry for him because he's being treated this way, but at the same time you're proud because he's so strong and he's really got a mind of his own.

    Well, that's what everyone is like. Every single person we meet in our daily lives have feelings and thoughts just like Auggie, and reading this really makes you realise how easily you can turn someone's life into misery.
    Even though this book initially made me a bit sad, I really enjoyed it and I did put it on my Favourites shelf on Goodreads :)

    ReplyDelete