Monday, 15 April 2013

Requiem by Lauren Oliver


Requiem (Delirium, #3)They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.

But we are still here.

And there are more of us every day.

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ©e of the young mayor.

Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.

Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.

But we have chosen a different road.

And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.


I want to start off this review by saying that I thought this book was the best in the entire trilogy. Like the other books, it still had its flaws, but the many great parts of the book made up for everything that was wrong with it.

The plot picks up right after where Pandemonium left off, and I just want to say that if you haven't read Pandemonium and especially if you haven't read Delirium, there will be spoilers for both those books in this review.

I found that the plot was faster paced than either of the other two books and for me the story never once lost momentum; the characters were always moving around and the tension between Alex and Lena really added to and developed the plot line. I also liked how it was written from both Lena's and Hana's point of view; I felt the contrasting characters added to the build up towards the end and the different perspectives on certain events made the read a lot more exciting.

The writing, as always, was exquisite; Lauren Oliver's writing style is one of the most elegant and descriptive that I have ever experienced within the YA genre. This descriptiveness aided the plot line well, but I also felt as if it was a little less developed than Delirium, which was a good thing; as I mentioned in my review of Delirium, five pages focusing on a bike ride isn't always a good thing.

I found Lena a little more bearable in this book than in the others; during Delirium she really irritated me, during Pandemonium she got a little better, and in this one she improved a little as well. I wouldn't say she was one of the strongest protagonists that I have read about, but she had come a long way from the whinging in Delirium. I loved Julian throughout this book; he was so helpful and supportive and never once got angry at Lena even when she was treating him like dirt. I absolutely detested Alex throughout this book; he was so selfish and arrogant that every time he came up in the story I found myself wanting to scream at him. He never once gave Lena or Julian a chance to speak, and was constantly making snide comments that just weren't necessary.

The ending, as everyone has said, was a disappointment. I wouldn't say that it was left too open; to me, it was obvious who she ends up with, and was obvious from the start of the book. I wasn't happy with her choice, but I won't go too much into detail for fear of spoilers. I also felt that the wider ending was a little anti-climactic; all the way through the book, there is a big build up to this major event, and when it actually happened I felt it fell a little flat. There is also a scene with Hana that there is a build up to as well, but as I had already read the short story Hana, I knew what happened and that took the tension and suspense out of a big part of the story.

Overall, this book was amazing and I loved it right up to the end. If you haven't started this series yet - and you shouldn't be here if you haven't! - then you definitely should just for the action and fast paced plot in Requiem.

4/5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review! I have recently just purchased Requiem, but I am kind of hesitant to read it, since I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on it! Your review made me excited to read the book! Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete