Sunday, 21 April 2013

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings, #1)
Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

I don't really have all that much to say about this book as it was one of those in between books that was neither good nor bad, so it's hard to decide what to include in this review.

The basic premise of the story was good - I liked the idea of the Fenris and about how Red Riding Hood becomes the hunter and not the victim - I thought that idea was great, in fact. I liked how the Fenris were in packs and how the world was solidly built, and how fast and frequent the action scenes were - but that was about all I liked.

First of all, I didn't think that enough back story was given on the Fenris - why were they called Fenris? Where did they come from? What do the packs mean? There were so many questions that were left unanswered that I found it hard to get into the book without really understanding the reasons behind everything.

Second, the characters were some of the most boring characters that I have ever read about. I preferred Rosie to Scarlett, but that doesn't mean I particularly liked her. Scarlett tried to force her opinions on everyone all the time and didn't understand that not everyone was like her, and Rosie was too weak to try and tell her sister otherwise, which annoyed me. Silas was okay - not great, but okay. The romance was irritating and superfluous to the story; it didn't exactly add anything and it didn't exactly take anything away. It was just there, with no build up or aftermath to it.

The plot line was boring for most of the way through; it started off well but lost momentum almost instantly and never really recovered. I thought the big mystery was obvious and the ending fell flat, which sucked the fun out of the read. I also didn't think the writing style was all that great either; it wasn't descriptive and nothing was ever really developed.

Overall, a 3/5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. I love your stark honesty whenever I read your reviews. It's weird because we're probably the same age and all but I really look up to you:) Haha, hope that you don't think I'm creepy or anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I try to be as honest as I can. And it's not creepy, it was a really nice thing to say!

      Delete