Tuesday, 30 April 2013

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
She’s wrong.


I was really excited to read this book as I had heard so many amazing things about it. To a certain extent, it met all of my expectations, but there were some things that I didn't like and didn't really expect to come across.

I liked the story, but I felt it was a little disjointed. I think that the all over the place nature of the book does help in places to represent Mara's chaotic mind-set, but at times I actually found it hard to follow because there were so many random events that were thrust into the story out of the blue and then never really referred to again. This book is pretty long at around 450 pages, and I felt like the story could have been nicely wrapped up in 100 less.

Before reading this book, I gauged from the back that it would be about Mara coming to terms with what had happened to her and discovering along the way that something abnormal was going on. Even though this was a big part of the story, I felt that sometimes everything that was going on with Noah overshadowed what I thought would be the main theme in the book, and at times bringing up creepy and disturbing visions that Mara kept having just felt a little odd.

Noah, the love interest, was everything you'd expect; typical bad boy but when you scratch beneath the surface he's not really that awful, straight A student without paying attention and rich beyond imagination. He forms an attachment to Mara when she doesn't take to him like other girls, and then takes to pretty much stalking her everywhere. I think that could have been taken further, but it felt like the story edged around the beginning of their relationship until boom, they're practically married.

I'm focusing on the bad here, but I did really enjoy this book. The writing was good, if a little awkward at times, and gave a good voice for Mara's story. The characters were well built, even if we didn't get to see enough of some of them, and the story itself was very intriguing and I'm excited to see what happens next.

Overall, 3/5 stars. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment