Wednesday, 1 May 2013

April Wrap Up

April was a terrible reading month for me. Although I got through 5 books, it took me the whole month to get through all of them because I kept stopping and starting without ever reading more than 20 pages. Saying that, I did read some good books and discover what I think is my favourite book of all time, so it wasn't too bad in the end.

When God Was a Rabbit
 
1. When God was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman - I was disappointed by this book, and my expectations weren't really all that high. I was in the mood for something reminiscent with good writing, and although both of those things were fulfilled to a certain extent, there was no story to be told and towards the end it felt like the author was trying to throw stupid, non-realistic twists in to make the plot more interesting, but it backfired and made me dislike it even more. 3/5 stars.
 
Going Out
 
2. Going Out by Scarlett Thomas - I really liked this one. I love the author's writing style, so there were no problems there. I didn't feel it was as clever or as adventurous as The End of Mr. Y, but it was still a good read. 4/5 stars.
 
The Great Gatsby
 
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - All time favourite. I absolutely loved it. The writing was nothing short of beautiful and the story was tragic and poignant and all the things it should have been. A definite 5/5 stars.
 
 
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)
 
4. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin - I was disappointed in this one, too. The writing annoyed me and I felt like there was too much emphasis on the romance rather than the struggles that Mara was going through. However I did enjoy it, and you can read my full review here for more, but I decided on a 3/5 stars.
 
 
Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)
 
5. Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins - LOVED this one. Although the cover of my edition (not this one) is hideous and made it look super tacky, it was actually a really great read. I loved the main character Sophie and the story was just really well built. 4/5 stars, review coming later on in the week!
 
Those are all the books I read in April, let me know what books you read below!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Glad that you love The Great Gatsby so much :)
    I've read The Castle by Kafka and Dracula by Bram Stoker in April. Dracula is a really good read. Love it very much. I've done a review on it and you are more than welcome to check it out, if you're interested :)
    -Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read Dracula at some point, so glad you liked it! I'll check it out! :)

      Delete
  2. Great reading month! I was able to read a lot of books this April which you can see here: http://thebookishowl.wordpress.com/2013/05/02/april-wrap-up/ because it was my summer vacation. I daresay that the holidays are the best times to read as you have nothing much to distract you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I read so much when I have no school haha!

      Delete