Saturday, 31 August 2013

Purity by Jackson Pearce

Purity
Before her mother died, Shelby promised three things: to listen to her father, to love as much as possible, and to live without restraint. Those Promises become harder to keep when Shelby's father joins the planning committee for the Princess Ball, an annual dance that ends with a ceremonial vow to live pure lives -- in other words, no "bad behavior," no breaking the rules, and definitely no sex.

Torn between Promises One and Three, Shelby makes a decision -- to exploit a loophole and lose her virginity before taking the vow. But somewhere between failed hookup attempts and helping her dad plan the ball, Shelby starts to understand what her mother really meant, what her father really needs, and who really has the right to her purity.


This book was one that I picked up on a whim looking for a light read. Whilst it gave me what I was looking for, it also went a lot deeper than I expected.

I recently read Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce and didn't enjoy it all that much. After reading this book, I think that her writing style is more suited to contemporary novels. Her characters were well rounded and realistic and the book was short and sweet.

Purity is very short so there isn't really much to judge on plot; it moved at a steady pace and was very easy to follow. The main character, Shelby, is likable, and although she can sometimes be a little annoying, her decisions are generally well thought through and she doesn't jump into things.

The main problem that I had with this book is that the premise is a little strange. Shelby has to keep these three promises - and whilst it was all very sad and I could believe that she would stick to them so faithfully - I found the actual promises a little weird. I also felt that Shelby interpreted them completely wrong at times, which meant everything she did came with a long, complicated thought process.

I liked this book, but it wasn't something that I would read again. 3/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment