Saturday, 25 January 2014

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs and Cassandra Jean - The Graphic Novel


17333322As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow-impossible though it seems-they may still be alive.

The first time I read this book I didn't enjoy it as much as I was expected. However I was always told that it was one of those books that you should read more than once to maximise its full potential. And after reading the graphic novel to recap the story before moving on to Hollow City, I can totally agree with that.

This is a graphic novel edition, so of course I am going to have to talk about the illustrations. They were so beautiful, and I loved how they captured emotions and the story so well. Sometimes I even felt the text was unnecessary as the pictures conveyed such complex levels of the story. I also really liked how the illustrations were mainly black and white, but interchangeably there was splashes of colour, mainly blues and greens, which really captured the night scenes well.

I felt, the second time round, that the story seemed to have a lot more depth than I at first felt - I have a feeling that I rushed through my first reading of it with the intention of finishing it as quickly as possible. The first time I read this, I felt that the romance between Jacob and Emma was rushed and gross; this time, I felt it fit the story perfectly.

So, yes. I'm a convert. You should read it. And you should pick up the graphic novel if you've read the book, just to look at the pretty illustrations. 5/5!

And just a quick note to the publishers over at Quirk Books - thank you for sending me this wonderful book!

3 comments:

  1. Wow everyone has been getting this book. Great review. I really feel like I need to read this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know right?! Thanks, you definitely do!

      Delete
    2. I'm definitely going to read this series now! Also, the graphic novels pictures look beautiful :)

      Delete