Monday, 6 January 2014

Sense and Sensibility by Joanna Trollope

18170047When their father unexpectedly dies, the three Dashwood girls—Elinor, Marianne and Margaret—must face the harsh reality of a life where they no longer have the home or the financial security that they have always taken for granted. As they come to terms with life without the comforts of either their country house or an inheritance, Elinor, a sensible architecture student, and Marianne, a passionate, musical free spirit, are also confronted by a world where their choices are abruptly limited by their new and alarming circumstances.I was really looking forward to reading this book as I love modern retellings of old classics, and I wasn't disappointed.

I enjoyed how this book threw you into the story straight away; there was no hesitancy or slow start, which made it immediately gripping. I also found it very easy to read, which made it quick to get through.

The characters, I also loved, especially Elinor, who I could relate to in pretty much every aspect. This book explores the differences between sisters that are so great you would hardly think to call the separate characters sisters, and yet I find that there are differences as large between myself and my own sisters; it was realistic, and I enjoyed that very much.

The only problem I had with this story was how quickly Elinor and Edward seemed to move from acquaintances to being deeply in love with each other; I found myself returning to the same place in the  book to see that I hadn't accidentally missed anything. Their relationship wasn't developed enough for me, and I found it hard to feel empathy for Elinor pining for a person who seemed to drop in and out of the story when he felt like it.

Overall, a great retelling with a modern twist. 4/5 stars.

6 comments:

  1. Great review! Love the new blog design by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks, it's not finished yet but it's getting there :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read the classic version yet, but I'll be sure to check this modern twist out when I do! Great review! (I also love your videos and the new blog design!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review! I'll make sure to check out this book sometime. Love the new blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great review!! Looking forward to starting this one!

    ReplyDelete